RC Radio Network Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RC Radio Network Contest News and Information > Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Crash Recovery Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rcdude07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crash Recovery Tips
    Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 12:54pm
If you're a newbie in the hobby, you'll eventually crash and eventually won't be able to see exactly where the plane or heli went in. I post the following tips after a short conversation with a buddy whose friends were thinking about switching fields solely b/c of corn being planted instead of hay and being scared of losing the plane in the corn.

1. Watch the plane/heli go in.
2. Get a reference to where the heli went in and a tall landmark (tall tree, unique tree, etc....)
3. You should have a spotter, so confer with them where their landmark is. Confer with other spectators/pilots if they saw it go in.
4. Walk in the straightest path possible to your landmark
5. Periodically stop and adjust your path to head to the landmark.
6. As you stop to gain your bearing, wiggle the sticks on the TX and listen for the servos moving. 
7. If you hear the servos, head that direction; if not, head to the land mark.
8. Once you reach your landmark, determine if it's past it or not. And continue the procress. Hopefully the landmark chosen was past the down aircraft.

I've had to use this method once or twice with my dad or other pilots at the field when they went down in the corn fields around CCRC (High Point, NC). Every time, we were able to recover what was left of the plane.
ids View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:18pm
rcdude, how true!
used these guidelines more times than I want to
capnconch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote capnconch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 3:07pm
Oh dang I thought you meant recovering from a crash: such as post crash traumatic stress disorder after trying to deal with the vision you just witnessed of your new labor of love maiden flight drill itself into the ground with a violent vertical landing.....
I also thought you meant one of my personal misfortunes at Pueblo Colorado Sky Corral,  My instructor of the day Max was standing beside me coaching me landing  my trainer..it touched down I flinched flicked the wrong stick hopped, redirected itself and nailed my instructor. Lucky he got his forearm up and deflected it off the major portion of his body.  Trainer totalled, fortunatly Max came out with a bruise on his forearm. I felt so bad about that! I still think about it often!
Cap conch 
Yeah Baby I'm Freaking Flying!
rcdude07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rcdude07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 7:00am
Sorry for the confusion capnconch. 
Sir Crashalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sir Crashalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 4:25pm
When I lost my first electric plane (Dynam HawkSky) I followed a landmark wiggled the servos and still could not find my plane.. I was standing in the area I thought it should have been then I thought to gun the electric motor... It was right above me about 120 feet up at the top of a tree.. With a combo of gunning the motor and moving the rudder it finally came loose, hitting every branch on the way down..
 Post Reply Post Reply