RC Radio Network Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RC Radio Network Contest News and Information > Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Haven't flown in a while?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Carlsoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haven't flown in a while?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 9:28pm
If you've been away from the sticks for a while, don't throw that fancy new 3D plane/EDF jet/expensive Euro-Moldie DLG you've just built into the air first. 

I ALWAYS take my 3ch slow stick to the field, and it's always the first plane I put into the air.  I usually follow that with my hot-rodded E-Starter, which has been heavily abused, and I won't cry if it ends up in a pile of pieces.

Doing this gives me a bit of stick time to make sure I'm not having one of those "WTH?" days, where nothing seems to be working right. 

Do it.  It may save your most beloved new toy from an unexpected attack of "dumb thumbs".
rcdude07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rcdude07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 7:33am
This is a great tip. My dad keeps an old trainer around for this exact same reason. But with the ultra micro aircraft taking off (no pun intended) the down town between flying isn't as long as it used to be.

Also, a computer simulator is great as well. Before I went off to college, I bought one just so I could keep my thumbs. It's worked for me.
Ghost In The Shell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ghost In The Shell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 10:29am
for a first plane, something slow and stable, easy star springs to mind as its good for camera work so it must be stable.
stable handling = docile, so should be good as a first fly
current build 1/87 ORSV Nord Adiemus
rcdude07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rcdude07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 7:06am
Hey Ghost, I think all seasoned pilots agree with your recommendation on a first plane. We were talking about having a plane that you really don't care much about so if it's been months since you last flew, you wouldn't be terribly upset if it was crashed b/c of not having your thumbs.
Ghost In The Shell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ghost In The Shell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:16am
well I have purchased for a FIRST plane, an AXN clouds fly.

my first flight ended up in me busting the horizontal tail surface SPLAT!!!!
current build 1/87 ORSV Nord Adiemus
Flyer5256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Flyer5256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:47pm

Hello To All R.C. Nuts like myself,

Name is Larry Pfister, and I have been enjoying R.C. flying and boating for over 35 years. Used to fly out of Checker Board RC club in Maywood, Illinois. Moved to beautiful Southern Illinois, where I not only fly off of grass, but also off of five beautiful lakes here in Southern Illinois.

Presentally working on a Great Planes Super Stearman Bi-Plane - 120 O.S. Max Four Cycle.
Also enjoy my Warehouse Hobbies 57" magnum, gas water cooled V-Hull Racing Boat.

Of all the R.C. projects I have, I love float flying the best.

You are welcomed to watch my video on this page, and send your comments.

LARRY PFISTER
" RETIRED - NOT TIRED "
" LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE - THEN COMES HOBBIES ".

Laughter is the best medicine _ Then comes R.C. Hobbies
Audra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Audra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 1:40am
Originally posted by iphone4 cases

Hello To All R.C. Nuts like myself,
Name is Larry Pfister, and I have been enjoying R.C. flying and boating for over 35 years. Used to fly out of Checker Board RC club in ipad2 Sleeves Maywood, Illinois. Moved to beautiful Southern Illinois, where I not only fly off of grass, but also off of five beautiful lakes here in Southern Illinois.
Presentally working on a Great Planes Super Stearman Bi-Plane - 120 O.S. Max Four Cycle.
Also enjoy my Warehouse Hobbies 57" magnum, gas water cooled V-Hull Racing Boat.
Of all the R.C. projects I have, I love float flying the best.
You are welcomed to ipad2 Screen Protector watch my video on this page, and send your comments.
LARRY PFISTER
" RETIRED - NOT TIRED "
" LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE - THEN COMES HOBBIES ".

I think all seasoned pilots agree with your recommendation on a first plane. We were talking about having a plane that you really don't care much about so if it's been months since you last flew, you wouldn't be terribly upset if it was crashed b/c of not having your thumbs.

Edited by Audra - 13 Apr 2011 at 1:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply